Friday, October 12, 2007

Doing More with Less

Shortly after founding PSG Novelties, it became clear that I needed to surround myself with people that were a lot smarter than me. I had a lot of great design ideas (ok, I am biased), but I was what is commonly referred to as "artistically challenged." I could draw stick figures with the best of them, but beyond that I needed help.

My epiphany came while reading a great book by Timothy Ferriss called 'The 4-Hour Workweek." He spoke about automating and outsourcing your life. The particular reference that caught my eye was Elance.com. I went to the site and found a wealth of freelance companies and contractors that were more than qualified to satisfy any skill set deficiencies I had.

Instead of hiring a graphic artist or illustrator, I could bid out my projects on Elance, browse portfolios, profiles and feedback ratings, and select a company to complete my project at a reasonable price.

I mentioned "The 4-Hour Workweek" by Timothy Ferriss. Here are some other great books that I would recommend for small business owners.

'The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It' by Michael E. Gerber
'Duct Tape Marketing' by John Jantsch
'Good to Great' by Jim Collins
'The Success Principles' by Jack Canfield
‘Eat That Frog!’ by Brian Tracy

No comments: