Friday, October 12, 2007

When One Door Closes...

We've all heard the saying, "when a door closes in your life another opens", or, "every ending is a new beginning." Well, that's exactly how PSG Novelties came to be. I had carried around the idea of creating novelty products for people in and around the project management profession for some time, but it took an abrupt ending to breathe life into that idea.

I co-founded a project management consulting firm with two great colleagues and friends in 2006. We didn't know it at the time, but running a business with three equal equity partners is a recipe for disaster no matter who you are. Needless to say, we came to an impasse on how to strategically move the company forward and we decided it would be best for everyone in the long run to restructure the company. I sold my ownership interests in the company to start my own project management consulting firm and we all went our own ways by way of an amicable separation.

It ended up taking me three months to find an attractive consulting contract. That time off was truly a blessing in disguise for me. It was during those three months that PSG Novelties was born.

I founded PSG Novelties on July 2, 2007 with the desire to create fun and creative high quality products for project management professionals and enthusiasts. Soon thereafter, we partnered with Cafépress to produce and distribute our products to a world-wide customer base.

PSG Novelties definitely energizes me. It is also a great change of pace from the project management consulting world.

No comments: